November 10, 2012

I Love My Job


I've been doing this for years.
I've seen villains go beyond their means,
Beyond what they ever planned to do.
I've seen death, both untimely and deserved.
I've watched people sacrifice themselves for me,
For their loved ones, for the supposed greater good,
In hopes that the end of their lives
Would allow others to continue.
I've been hurt.
I've been beaten.
I've had my heart broken.
I've had my will broken.
I've seen the highest of highs and the lowest of lows.
I've saved the world many a time,
And I don't really have anything to show for it.
Hell, half the time the world didn't even know it was being saved.
And crush me, it did.
All of that pressure, all of the expectations,
It brought me to a low that I would have never imagined.

But regardless, I continued my job.

I asked myself that question,
"Should I get some type of reward for what I do?"
And the answer that I came up with was it doesn't matter.
I've been doing what I've been doing for so long,
Not for a reward,
But because I love doing what I do.
I may have never received a single cent.
I may not always get the girl.
I may not get any recognition.
But I legitimately receive plenty of satisfaction in saving the lives I've saved, touching the souls I've touched, and kicking the asses I've kicked.
When shit hits the fan they call me because I live for that scent.
When darkness lurks and grows I'm the torch that burns the shadows.
When the pressure is on I've added the most bad ass of moments to my record.
I don't need benefits.
The benefits are all in the job itself.
I may not be a perfect hero,
I may not be the best hero,
I may not be the purest hero,
But damn it I love the hero that I am.
I don't need a fucking incentive.
I love my job.

No comments:

Post a Comment