April 20, 2011

Sonic Generations, Mortal Kombat 9, New Nintendo Console

SONIC GENERATIONS!

So I'm sure you saw the game play trailers of Sonic Generations by now. If you haven't, here's a link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsEj-heCGbE

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wuj-6T_ymqg&feature=player_embedded

For those not in the know, the story has to do with Modern Sonic being sent through time by some unknown enemy. He will eventually have to team up with his Classic counterpart and will go through a bunch of the "defining levels" all across the history of the Sonic games. Classic Sonic will play like Classic Sonic, with physics that attempt to emulate the classics... a spin dash. Yes. A real spin dash. He will also play in 2D. Modern Sonic will play like Modern Sonic, with homing attack and boosts, and will be in 3D. This sounds like it's going to be amazing combination of play styles.

My only worry at this point is the levels that Sega will select to put in the game. I worry that there will be, like 5 green levels in it, Oil Ocean won't be in it, Launch Base won't be in it, and Radical Highway won't be in it. I also feel like Carnival Night should definitely be in it, simply because of the heartache that Act 2 of that zone has cause many a Sonic fan. Still, it will be interesting to see 2D renditions of 3D levels and 3D renditions of 2D levels. I also hope to see more than enough Sonic Heroes levels get butchered. :-)

MOOR-TAL KOOMMMBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!


Played Mortal Kombat 9 yesterday. Honestly, I feel like this is easily the best Mortal Kombat game by far, and from me, a guy who has despised MK, that saying quite a bit. I wouldn't be surprised if there's some people out there saying, "Hell no! This MK is trash! Especially compared to Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3!" But I see a ton of gameplay improvements in this game. Things that still bother me about MK, such as fatalities with the same value as a kick to the shin and the uniform attacks (everyone still has that same damn uppercut), but I feel like there's a whole lot more involved in the midst of the actual fight. The characters have a more individual feel amongst their normal attacks, and there are more options available with the addition of the super bar, such as powered up specials, combo breakers and the X-Ray Supers. I feel like the might is a more involved experience now. Of course, like I said, this clutter could be the reason an older fan might not like it, so I'm gonna try to find

MK9's Tag Mode is amazing. It got a 4 player mode within the tag mode, it has assists and tag attacks... AND THERE'S NOTHING, AND I MEAN NOTHING that allows the losing team to randomly make an overpowered comeback. The better team wins, and that's how it should be.

Overall, it's a fun game. I'm maining Sindel at the moment, I might pick up Smoke, and I might take this game semi-seriously.... definitely more so than X-Factor vs. Capcom 3.

A New Nintendo System is on the Horizon...


You might have heard that Nintendo is going to reveal a new video game console at E3 (which is in June, for those not in the know). Here's what I'm managed to gather about the system based on info around the internet (all of which may be 100% wrong, so take it with a grain of salt)

  • The system will have backwards compatibility with the Wii. (but does that make it backwards compatible with GameCube games?)
  • The controller will have a 6-inch HD screen on it. (controllers already cost an arm and a leg... do people really wanna buy a controller that cost an arm, a leg, and a kidney?)
  • The system will be more powerful than PS3 or 360. (so that means HD... but will it have the same bland, uniform graphics of earth-like, unoriginal realism, or will Nintendo's happy colors look even more vibrant than before?)
  • The system wants to "recapture" the "hardcore" audience. (1- Does this mean that F-Zero's coming back? 2- Why not just make games... for everyone? Like they used to? That's too hard, isn't it?)
On many of the websites I got the info from (via google, it's all there, and probably more), I noticed that people have claimed that the Wii's sales have been sluggish lately. Well no shit; Wii dominated sales for what, 2 - 4 years. I could see why sales would slow down (especially with the lack of decent, presentable, must-buy content... shhhhh) and why other system could have the opportunity to catch up (especially since said other systems have new, motion sensor equipped doohickies... shhhhhh) (or maybe it's because Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 are the same price.... $49.99... shhhhhhh). Wii not being on top of sales per month anymore isn't that big of a deal considering the vast domination it held for a considerable period of time.


Oh well, whatever. Continue to hate Nintendo until the next system proves to give people reason to actually hate the system, at which point people will actually love Nintendo again. I want SNES 2. That would be amazing.


Well, this is running rather long. I'll stop right here. Within the next few blogs, I'll post up what I want to see from both Sonic Generations and the Next Nintendo Console.

No comments:

Post a Comment