October 9, 2011

NaNoWriMo is Coming!



What the hell is a NaNoWriMo?

NaNoWriMo stands for National Novel Writing Month. This month is November, and it encourages writers to write a book consisting of at least 50,000 words. That's about 1,700 words a day.

Last year, I tried this. And I failed miserably.

No, I was not writing a Marko Man book. It was a book about Dark Iron and how somebody was going to either conquer or destroy the world using it and the protagonist, whoever the fuck it was, was going to save the world in this theoretically epic adventure to retrieve it from the overpowered antagonist.

I don't think I got past the Golems in the mountains.

Whatever the case of last year's failsauce may have been about, I am try again this year and I am going to write a 50,000+ word book for NaNoWriMo.

I have no idea what this book is going to be about.

Usually, I come up with plots and outlines and stuff for non-Marko Man stories and they're great as an outline, but apparently they don't translate well enough into a story that I give enough shits about to actually finish. I've had some pretty incredible ideas too. The Dark Iron shit was actually some pretty heavy duty shit. I've also had ideas about this guy that was so good a warrior that he was looking for supernatural shit to kick his ass and a weapon that controlled the entire world, but as I write these stories, I just couldn't give as much of a fuck about them as I did when I came up with the outlines.

So this year for NaNoWriMo, I'm going to pretty much improvise a book out of thin air. This has worked well for my poetry (obviously) and this has also worked well for more than a few Marko Man stories (The Untitled Internet Finale is the freshest example of such). But to improv a non-Marko Man book? Heh heh... this is either going to be amazing or disastrous.

I should at least come up with a name for the main character, right?

Brendan.

Brendan it is.


No comments:

Post a Comment