July 19, 2012

Outdoor Paper and Pen Writing

So I've been doing some paper and pen writing recently.

It started with writing poetry at work in an attempt to cope with the fact that my job sucks. If I prolong the escape long enough, I pretty much consider myself getting paid to write (beating the system?). I then tried to write a story using paper and pen while at work, and while I was able to get in a few jokes, the overall product was garbage for unknown reasons, and I trashed the story before it could get going. Said prematurely ended story did give me an idea for a story that I will write soon, but in the end, it had to go.

But I wasn't ready to end the paper and pen writing for stories just yet, as even though the story sucked, the actual writing of the story with paper and pen felt good. So I had made a plan to do some more paper and pen writing for a story that will eventually show itself on this blog. The paper and pen writing is pretty much a "back to my roots" kind of thing, as that's where the story writing thing started for me (and probably every writer ever, but with today's technology, that absolute claim could have been negated last week for all I know), and as I said, it felt good, but I wanted to take it a step further.

I bought a fresh composition notebook, and I found a nice, outdoor location, and I started writing. And from that location came bits and pieces of environmental inspiration that I wouldn't have been able to get from being inside. I also had music going, which was getting me hyped to write, and then I came up with the idea of changing my location, which would also change the location of the fight scene I was writing, and therefore come up with more environmental inspiration.

The story isn't done yet because it started raining as I was writing (paper and water don't mix, fyi), but I will definitely return to the location I was writing to finish the scene. And I'm probably going to go for another location change too, to make the fight more epic.

Overall, I'm probably going to do some more paper and pen writing. And I'm going to do more writing outdoors as well. There is something about writing on the paper with a pen that you can't get with typing... obviously, in the grand scheme of things these days, it's a whole lot less time effective in a sense because I would probably end up having to retype everything I already wrote, but the feeling is definitely different and definitely something worth exploring every so often in my opinion. And the outdoor writing is definitely something I want to do more of (at least while it's still warm enough to do it) because I'll definitely see something and be like "Wow, I need to put that in the fight," and I get pure gold from it.

Overall, the best thing about this is that I'm at least in the swing of things when it comes to writing. It's been very good relaxation for me... Lord knows I need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment